Vegan Chocolate Cake
Vegan Chocolate CakeCourse: DessertDifficulty: Medium
Vegan Chocolate Cake: Dairy & egg-free, rich in antioxidants, adaptable for allergies. A tasty, ethical treat!
2 cups whole-wheat flour
1.5 cups unsweetened almond or soy milk
2 tsp white or apple cider vinegar
2/3 cup coconut oil, melted
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 cup cane sugar or jaggery
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 180 degree C and lightly spray 2 8-inch round cake pans. Dust with cocoa powder, shake out the excess and set aside.
- Mix the almond milk and vinegar in a large mixing bowl, and let set for a few minutes to activate.
- Add the oil, vanilla extract, and applesauce and beat until foamy.
- Add the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt to a sifter and slowly sift over the wet ingredients while beating it
- Beat until no large lumps remain. It should be creamy and pourable. Taste and adjust sweetness as needed.
- Pour the batter in cake pan. Bake 25-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool completely.
- For frosting, I mixed strawberry pulp with some vegan butter.
- If you like frosting, you can also make versions by adding fresh strawberries or nuts or melted dark chocolate layer or chocolate chips on top.