KimchiCourse: PicklesCuisine: KoreanDifficulty: Easy
Kimchi / Kimchee (김치) is a traditional Korean side dish made from fermented cabbage, radish, or cucumber.
2 heads napa cabbage
2 finely chopped carrots
5 onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, pressed
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon chilli Powder
2 cups vinegar
- Cut the cabbage into quarters and rinse it in running water.
- Rub with salt and then leave at room temperature for six hours. Ensure to keep a container as the salt water will come out.
- Rinse with cold water, drain, and squeeze out the excess liquid.
- Now combine carrots, onions, garlic, ginger and make it into smooth thick paste.
- Add chilli powder, salt and vinegar to the paste and mix it well
- Now apply the paste on cabbage leaves until evenly coated
- Seal in the air tight container and set in a cool dry place. Refrigerate before serving.
- The best ways to store kimchi is to keep it in an airtight container and in the refrigerator. It can last atleast 1-2 months.